Traveling can be so much fun but it can also be stressful. Between a change up in your daily routine, new forms of transportation, & limited access to your standard foods & exercise regime can leave you feeling a little out of control. Today I am sharing 7 tips that have allowed me to let loose & enjoy my vacation without throwing my healthy lifestyle out the window! Implementing these tips can help you keep your healthy lifestyle in tact so it’s an easier transition, keeps you feeling your best, & let’s you have FUN!
1.Move your body!
Not everyone takes a trip where they participate in physical activity & that’s ok! But make sure you move your body at least once a day for 25-30 minutes. My favorite form is running or walking, it’s a free tour of the city, utilizes clothes you likely already packed (hi yoga pants!) and you can work it into your schedule. I prefer my runs in the morning but have also done them after a day of sitting to burn off some restless energy.
Not into running? You can also utilize total body workouts using body weight, like squat jumps, burpees, etc. There are tons of free resources online or my personal favorite is to just combine 4-6 exercises I love that require no equipment and repeat them 3 times as fast as I can. Need to actually go somewhere to feel motivated? Check out local studios near you! I love seeing what kind of yoga studios & gyms are in the area. Chain studios like OrangeTheory & PureBarre are everywhere! Often times the first class is free so you don’t even have to spend a pretty penny for a single use. Plus, you can switch it & try a few different things while you’re there for free!
2. Eat vegetables as much as possible.
I always check the menu for what I am craving, & see what it comes with for sides. If the dish I am looking at doesn’t have the healthiest sides I’ll look to see if there is a side dish of seasonal vegetables, I can substitute for. Or if you want to treat yourself to that side, ask for a side salad (dressing on the side) to go with dinner! If I am out for breakfast I opt for eggs with vegetables in them, although it’s not much it does make a difference.
3. Treat yourself!
No need to overindulge on vacation but you can still eat what you want! For example this past trip I was at a coffee shop & when ordering coffees noticed this amazing maple cookies I wanted to try. I skipped them that day but the next day we were stopping there and I still had them on my mind so I tried one! It was so worth it! Having one treat or buying a treat a share is perfect way to share the moment & try something new. Try sticking to no more than 2 small treats a day at most.
4. Book a rental home from sites like Air BnB or Homeaway.
I love these because not only are they cheaper but they create a form of consistency while away & give you more control over your food choices since you have access to a kitchen. Try to cook about 75% of your meals at home (usually breakfast & a couple dinners are easiest, since you are out & about exploring during the day) & the remaining 25% save for eating out. This allows you to eat healthy while still enjoying the unique restaurants, bars & social life your vacation area has to offer. Plus it’s a cool way to check out local co-ops for groceries & new products!
5. Proper supplementation- Hydration IS included!
Supplementation is a newbie on my list after finishing my nutrition certification & realizing how drastically our digestive system alters when we change our atmospheres. Bring an empty water bottle on the plane to use throughout your trip so you aren’t constantly buying waters & remember to drink throughout the day! Other great supplements include oregano oil or grapeseed extract. Both help ward off any bacteria you may have picked up from travel. Natural Calm magnesium can also help you sleep & improve your digestion, which are both usually a bit out of whack when you travel. Your best for selecting supplements & proper dosing is to contact a practitioner to figure out which ones will be right for you. Trust me it’s worth it.
6. Keep alcohol consumption moderate. My rule of thumb is to aim for more than your normal consumption but less than your high consumption. What I mean by this is if you have one drink 1-2x a month, & if you celebrate a special occasion such as a wedding you have 2-3 in that one night. On vacation you would consume 1x a day or less. So it’s more than your typical consumption but less than your max. This allows you to still enjoy yourself & try some new drinks without putting your body through too much more stress than it’s use to.
7. Pack snacks! You never know how long things are going to take or the food options where you’ll be. I always keep my favorite snacks with me like EpicBars & Baby food pouches for some protein & veggies. Fruit is also great because it’s easy to carry! Check out my snack post for a ton of ideas that are great for use on vacation!