Okay, so first off we need to get the facts out in the open here. If you have PMS and are thinking it’s ‘normal’ because everyone has it, this could not be further from the truth! PMS is a symptom of hormonal balances in the body and your cycle should not be changing your mood or physical symptoms as drastically as many women experience today. The downside to hormonal imbalances is that almost all women currently suffer from them, or have at some point in their lives. The good news is they can be effectively managed through fairly simple dietary changes!
One of the simple changes you can begin making is by ensuring you are not feeding your body with added and processed sugars. To put it simply, the blood sugar spike you get from consumption of these causes your hormone glands to go haywire, wreaking havoc on your energy levels and mood. You can read a bit more about what hormones are here.
Something important to note about this recipe, although it is chocolate and peanut butter the cacao makes it more bitter than sweet. I did this on purpose to give you not only a satisfying treat that regulates your blood sugar from the healthy fats present but something that wouldn’t send your body into a full out sugar addict cycle. Plus magnesium from the cacao is much more prevalent than in dark chocolate. Don’t let this bitter taste deter you from trying the recipe. It’s these very small changes in our lives over time that make the biggest impact in our health!
- ¼ C Coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp Coconut butter
- ¼ C chunky unsalted Peanut butter
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp Cacao powder
- In a small saucepan on low heat melt coconut oil, coconut butter, peanut butter and vanilla extract together until smooth and well combined
- Add in the cacao powder and stir until no chunks remain
- Pour the mixture into small square, silicone ice cube trays
- Freeze until hardened (about 30 minutes) and enjoy!
- this store best in the freezer but can also be refrigerated once hardened.